MINCE PIES (Vegan)
- 1 LB Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal (or Spelt) Flour
- 1 LB Organic White Plain Flour
- 2 TBSP Cornflour
- 1 LEVEL TSP Baking Powder
- 1 LEVEL TSP Sea Salt
- 1 LB Vegetable Margarine (Suma or Biona are good for a short pastry)
- 5 OZS Light Muscovado Sugar
- 3-4 TBSP Cold Water
- 2 JARS Mincemeat
- Course: Baking
- Cuisine: Other
- Serves: 36
- Cooking-Time: 0hrs 26 mins
- PASTRY PREPARATION
- 1. Measure out FLOUR, CORNFLOUR, BAKING POWDER, SALT and sift into large bowl.
- 2. Measure out SUGAR and sift into separate bowl.
- 3. Cut chilled MARGARINE into the flour and rub it in using the tips of fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 4. Add SUGAR.
- 5. Have some COLD WATER ready in a cup and add 3 TABLESPOONS and begin to mix in to form a firm dough that will roll into a ball. Add more water very gradually at this stage as too much will spoil the pastry – the less the better!
- 6. Turn into a polythene bag and refrigerate for half an hour. (This quantity is enough for making 36 mince pies, any not used can be frozen).
- MAKING MINCE PIES
- 7. Grease a 12 cup bun baking tray for making pies.
- 8. Begin by using around a quarter of the chilled pastry on a floured surface and roll with floured rolling pin into a flat shape. If the dough is right then this will be easy and there will be no sticking to the rolling pin.
- 9. Use PASTRY CUTTERS (improvise with a lid from a jar!) to cut the right size of circle to fit baking tin shape.
- 10. Put a teaspoonful of mincemeat into each pie. Do not overfill.
- 11. Now cut a smaller circle of PASTRY to act as a lid to the mince pie.
- 12. With a PASTRY BRUSH wet the edges of the pies and wet the inside edge of the pastry lid. Place on top of each pie, pressing edges to stick together.
- 13. Use a FORK to make a pattern on the rim of pastry.
- 14. Brush tops with SOYA MILK and sprinkle with DEMERARA SUGAR.
- 15. Finally, use the thin end of a teaspoon to make a small hole in the centre of each pie.
- 16. Bake at 200 degrees C/ 400 degrees F for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown. Leave in tray for 10 minutes before removing to cooling rack.
- * Sunflower margarines are best for baking. BIONA ORGANIC SUNFLOWER VEGETABLE MARGARINE and SUMA SUNFLOWER are particularly good because they contain palm oil.
* The CO-OP do a nice light mincemeat that is Vegan and economical to buy.
* Mince Pies freeze well.
Leave a Reply