Simple but tasty, this classic nut roast is very good with any of our gravy recipes. Adapted from ‘Easy Vegan Cooking’ by Leah Leneman
6 – 8
80 minutes: 20 minutes preparation time, 40-60 minutes to bake
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 small tomatoes
30g/1oz wholemeal flour
140ml/5fl oz water
1 tbsp soya sauce
115g/4oz broken cashew nuts
85g/3oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 tbsp soya flour, available from health food shops
Optional: pine nuts to scatter on the top – add about 10 minutes before the end of baking time or else they will burn
1. Score the tomato skins, place in a cup and top with boiling hot water.
2. Chop the onion finely and sauté it in the oil until tender.
3. Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
4. Skin and chop the tomatoes and add them to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and slowly add the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Remove from the heat.
4. Grind the hazelnuts and add them to the sauce together with all the other ingredients. Mix very thoroughly and place in a greased bread tin or pie dish. Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve with gravy and seasonal vegetables.
Leave a Reply